Tis the Season…
Sigh. The kids are fighting a cold this week and for some reason I feel, ‘since I’m a Naturopathic Doctor, that my kids should be invincible and never catch any flu or cold that is out there.
Of course I have to tell myself that , my kids are only human and I can not control 100% what they eat and what they are sticking in their mouths and I can not keep their fingers clean 24/7.
So I wanted to share with you 3 quick homemade tips that I do when my kids are coughing, sneezing, and are booger dripping factories.
1. Make Garlic Tea – what? Make what? Ooh that sounds horrible, are usually the responses I get in return. But hey, garlic is anti-viral, anti-bacteria, anti-fungal, it detoxes the body and keeps vampires (along with everyone else) away! Good stuff.
• Here’s how you make it: peel a whole head of garlic, yes that is usually about 5-8 cloves of garlic. Peel them, cut them in half and throw them in a pot of at least 3-4 cups of water.
• Boil for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
• Eat and enjoy. Most of the time when garlic is boiled it no longer tastes pungent but is actually tasty, tasting more like a white potatoe. Hand it to your kids, you will be surprised.
• If you need to put a drop or tab of local honey, manuka honey is even better. (Manuka honey is medicinal honey of bees that pollenate tea tree plants. Tea tree plants are naturally anti-microbial or anti-bacterial so when you eat the honey you even have more benefit.
2. Avoid- Avoid -Avoid SUGARS! One teaspoon, yes just one teaspoon, of sugar will suppress your immune system for 5 hours. So avoid all sugars, even fruit sugars, when your kids are sick. Avoid all processed sugars especially candies, cookies, cakes, pastries, and sugary drinks! When you are getting sick, the last thing you need is suppressing the one thing that is fighting for you.
3. Make Immune Boosting Soup: This is really simple to make. All you need is a few veggies, onions, garlic, and some spices. When you are sick or fighting something you want all your energies to go toward healing, not toward digesting.
So eat simple, easy to digest foods, preferably warm foods (so your stomach doesn’t have to waste energy warming these cold foods up.)
Here’s the recipe:
• 2-3 sticks of Organic Carrots
• 3 stalks of Organic Celery
• 5-8 cloves of organic garlic (be sure the garlic is not from china)
• Organic white potatoes –
• 1 organic yellow onion
• ½ tablespoon of cumin
• 1 teaspoon of basil
• 1/8 cup of coconut oil
• Chop up the following ingredients in a big pot, fill filtered water up to cover the veggies and boil for 20 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so. Eat and Enjoy! Add more water if the water begins to boil out.
Do you feel like your kids are always sick and unable to shake a cold or flu?
Are you interested in more natural, drugless ways, to better health for your family?
Call us today for a FREE 15 minute consultation – 704-543-5540